Monday, March 2, 2009

Reflections - Good News

Yesterday was a good day of worship. The congregation sang "Everlasting God." It is always good when we can be reminded of the Isaiah 40 passage. "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak." "The Lord is the everlasting God."

We also sang the song "In the Presence of Jehovah." There is a phrase in this Geron Davis song that is always uplifting: "Troubles vanish, hearts are mended, in the presence of the King."

Our congregation loves the Tommy Walker song "He Knows My Name." Two scripture passages come to mind when singing this song. The first one is Isaiah 43:1, where God says: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine." The other is John 10:14: "I am the good Shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me."

The pastor preached from Philippians 4:10-13 where he reminded us that "God is BIG Enough to Meet My Needs." In this day of recession, depression - both economically and for some personally - it is good to be reminded that our God is BIG enough to meet our needs. In verse 19 of that same passage the apostle Paul writes: "And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus."

I was reminded today about some more Good News. In fact, God knows what I will write before I do: "Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord" (Psalm 139:4). I stare at the night sky in awe, but He looks at the stars "and calls them each by name" (Isaiah 40:26).

I don't understand the technology which makes this blog possible, but "his understanding has no limit" (Psalm 147:5). I cannot see anything beyond my computer and the desk on which it sits this morning, but "nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account" (Hebrews 4:13). In short, "he knows everything" (1 John 3:20).

Maybe you needed some Good News today. I am glad that our Sovereign God is big enough to meet my needs. "His understanding has no limit" and yet He loves us.

1 comment:

Jeremy Hellums said...

I heard Give Me Jesus and thought you might lead it well. It is on Jeremy Camp's Beyond Measure album. Great tune.