Sunday, March 22, 2009

Homesick

These thoughts are not meant to be morbid. The older I get the more I realize that I have almost as many loved ones who have "gone home" as those who remain. I received the news today that my aunt passed away today. She is the latest of several in the past several months who have preceded her.

The group MercyMe have written several songs that deal with those who have died. I was reminded of several of their songs tonight.
I have included the words to one of them for you.

homesick
You’re in a better place, I’ve heard a thousand times
And at least a thousand times I’ve rejoiced for you
But the reason why I’m broken the reason why I cry
Is how long must I wait to be with you

I close my eyes and I see your face
If home’s where my heart is then I’m out of place
Lord won’t you give me strength to make it through somehow
I‘ve never been more homesick than now

Help me Lord because I don’t understand Your ways
The reason why I wonder if I’ll ever know
But even if You showed me the hurt would be the same
Because I’m still here so far away from home

In Christ there are no goodbyes
In Christ there is no end
So I’ll hold onto Jesus with all that I have
To see you again

Written by MercyMe and Peter Kipley

No comments: