Sunday, March 8, 2009

Birthday Cards

This past week I celebrated another birthday. It was regular day of work and then a quiet evening with my wife. We enjoyed a good meal together and spent a few minutes shopping before heading home.

This weekend we were able to see our children. It had been a month since we have seen them. They have been very busy this spring. Anyway, as part of our weekend, we enjoyed a baseball game, a basketball game, and some cake and strawberries.

My children also gave me some birthday cards and a present. The present was very nice, and unexpected, but they cards are worth mentioning. I opened a card from my daughter and her husband, and then my son handed me another card. What made it so special is the cards were identical. Obviously, who would know better that "I'm disturbed" than the ones who made me that way - my children.

The card(s) read: "Dad, on your birthday you deserve at least 24 hours of uninterrupted rest." Then I read the inside of the card:
"So use this!" Inside of the opposite page is a door hanger that reads: "Do not disturb! I'm a Father! (I'm already disturbed.)"

The card(s) were special and the sentiment was exactly correct.
"I am a father" and "I am already disturbed." We enjoyed the laughter of the moment. I'm not sure what was funnier that my children got me the same card or that I am disturbed. But who would know better that "I'm disturbed" than the ones who made me that way - my children.

No comments: