Saturday, April 21, 2007

Mercy

I have just started reading another book. The book is Max Lucado's newest book entitled, "Every Day Deserves a Chance." This morning I was reading the chapter "Mercy for Shame-Filled Days." Max is writing about the thief on the cross who asked Jesus, "remember me when you enter your kingdom."
Max writes: "What does the thief see now? He sees a son entrust his mother to a friend and honor a friend with his mother. He sees the God who wrote the book on grace. The God who coaxed Adam and Eve out of the bushes, murderous Moses out of the desert. The God who made a place for David, though David made a move on Bathsheba. The God who didn't give up on Elijah, though Elijah gave up on God. This is what the thief sees."
A thought hit me when I read this paragraph - "What a merciful and grace-full God." Yes, He did "write the book on grace." God can use a man who committed murder. He can use a man who commits adultery. Not only is it amazing that God could use Moses and David, but that He has "chosen" to use me.
Why would such a grace-full God choose to use me? What do I have to offer Him? He could have chosen to use anyone, but He chose to use me. I don't have anything to offer Him - but He chooses to use me. God, in His grace, has chosen to work through people that are inadequate, weak, and sinful. But God takes that inadequacy, adds His power, and can use someone like me. That is grace. That is mercy. That is God.
Jesus says in John 15:16: "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit - fruit that will last." He has chosen to use us to "bear fruit" that will bring Him honor and glory.
Max continues in that same chapter by saying: the thief "hears the official language of Christ: grace. Undeserved. Unexpected. Grace. "Today you will join me in paradise." God offers us grace, simply because He has chosen to. It's His language - the language of grace.
Not only do we need to hear that language of grace, but we also need to learn to speak the language of grace. What would happen to those around us if we learned to speak the language of grace?

No comments: