Thursday, April 5, 2007

Indescribable

While listening to Chris Tomlin's song "Indescribable" today I was once again struck by a phrase. On the Passion CD Chris sings the song live and he repeats a phrase over and over again. The phrase says, "You see the depths of my heart and You love me the same. You are an amazing God." I was immediately struck by the awesome, unchanging, unconditional, 'indescribable' love of God.
Being a parent I know something about unconditional love. My (I should say "our") children could do almost (notice that I said "almost") anything and I would still love them. That is different from the way that God loves me - His love is unconditional. Also, I would give my children almost anything they need - if I could afford it. That is different from the way God loves me - His resources are limitless.
That reminds me of another Tomlin song. "How can I keep from singing Your praise. How could I ever say enough, how amazing is Your love. How can I keep from shouting Your name. I know I am loved by the King, and it makes my heart want to sing." Tomlin (and Redman) say what I want to say, but in a much better way. When you realize that you are "loved by the King" that truly makes your "heart want to sing."
To what extent would you go to show your love to someone? God went to the extreme - "God demonstrates His love to us in this. While we were still sinners (enemies) Christ died for us." That is some kind of love. It is in Tomlin's words "indescribable," "amazing," "unchanging," and "unconditional." This week as we celebrate Easter - contemplate how much you are loved.

2 comments:

JMob said...

im not sure if we got the right title for this blog....cuz so far its been randman's uplifting words of wisdom!

Nic Burleson said...

good stuff randall. good stuff.