Thursday, October 30, 2008

24 Years Ago

It was an early, and I mean early, Thursday morning twenty-four years ago this Saturday. My wife was scheduled to have a C-section to give birth to our first child at 9:30 a.m. on that Thursday morning. My mother-in-law and I took her to the hospital on Wednesday so she would be ready to go on Thursday morning. At 1:15 a.m. on Thursday, my wife called to inform us (her mother and I) that her water had broken. We quickly, and I mean quickly, showered, dressed, and drove the 30 minutes to the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital where we were told that my wife's Dr. was on his way. He was not on call that night since he had been out of town. Anyway, about 4:15 a.m. our first child, Megan was born.

We had been concerned about her because she was breach. The Dr. had tried to turn her, but each time he would lose the baby's heart rate. That forced us to have to have C-section. When Megan was born we found out why the Dr. was unable to turn her - the umbilical cord was wrapped around her shoulder.

It has been twenty-four years since that early morning. I could not be more proud of my first born. Megan, for the most part, has been a wonderful daughter. I say for the most part, because there were those few teenage years. Seriously, God has blessed us with a beautiful daughter and a her wonderful husband.

I can honestly say that I am a blessed man because God has blessed me with a wonderful family. I don't deserve the wife, daughter, son, and son-in-law that God has given me.

What can I say about my daughter? I guess I could say she married way over her head, but that would get me in trouble. (Right Meg?)
Honestly, I can say she is beautiful, talented, and I'm sure a great teacher. I have never seen her in the classroom setting, but I have seen her interact with children. Megan, thank you for blessing my life for these twenty-four years. I love you.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Dad, thanks for the love and thanks for being a great dad for these 24 years! I love you!