Monday, September 8, 2008

A Sense of Destiny

When I was a seminary student I attended a church in Hurst. One of the members gave me a placard which said: "God is the blessed Controller of all things." I thought it was a good saying then, but the longer I live the more I believe it.

I was reminded of that statement the other day. I was reading Mark Batterson's new book "Wild Goose Chase." Batterson is the pastor of National Community Church in D.C. Batterson writes about a conversation that he was having with a family member who was dealing with some issues. Mark finished their conversation by praying an unscripted prayers. He prayed, "Lord, thank You that You want us to get where You want us to go more than we want to get where You want us to go."

They stopped praying and started laughing because they weren't sure what Mark had just prayed. Later, as they began to decipher the riddle, Mark was reminded about this truth: "God is far more concerned about your future than you are."

Proverbs 16:9 says: "In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps." I am reminded of another passage, one that has been a favorite for years, Proverbs 3:5-6. Solomon says: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take."

No comments: