Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Hymns and the Next Generation

I was raised on hymns. I must confess I love hymns. They have been for generations the life-blood of the church. They teach theology. Many people know more about the Bible because of hymns they have sung.

I also love contemporary Christian music. I love to sing new songs that express the deep thoughts of individuals. It is refreshing to sing a simple tune to simple words like "I love you, Lord," in a moment of worship.

I also love contemporary hymns. Writers like Keith and Kristyn Getty and Stuart Townend who have written some powerful songs like "In Christ Alone," and "The Power of the Cross."

I also love it when writers take an old, sometimes unfamiliar hymn, and write a new tune or chorus. People like David Crowder and Chris Tomlin are just two examples of contemporary Christian artists who have written some powerful songs that would fit into this category.

I also love it when a Christian contemporary musician releases a new album of hymns. Here is an article about MercyMe's lead singer Bart Millard, who has released a second hymns album.

No comments: