Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Uncertainty

Isn't it interesting when God provides a word just when you need it? That just happened to me. The uncertainty of life has been on my mind lately and God spoke. He didn't speak audibly but he spoke through a book I'm reading.

I have been reading Mark Batterson's book "In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day." Mark is the pastor of National Community Church in the nation's capitol. Mark's words spoke to me about uncertainty. He said: "I used to hate uncertainty, but I'm learning to love it. It is an acquired taste. I am discovering that the greatest moments in life are unscripted. They are unrehearsed and unplanned and unpredictable and that is precisely what makes them unforgettable."

He goes on to say: "We naturally want everything to go according to plan, but the element of surprise infuses life with so much joy. Thank God for uncertainty and unpredictability. The alternative is monotony."

God has called us to live by faith. But faith involves a loss of control. That is especially difficult for someone like me who is a control freak. I like things to go like I want. "With the loss of control comes the loss of certainty. Faith is the willingness and readiness to embrace those uncertainties."

God is trying to teach us that the life of a Christian is about faith - trusting Him as the blessed controller of all things. He is sovereign and is capable of handling the affairs of our life.

1 comment:

JMob said...

WOW. simply WOW. thanks for sharing this pop. this is one of those "dang it" moments. i do agree that its cool because its unpredictable, and in most things thats very cool to look forward to. but in BIG things its not so fun.

how cool would it be to have a worship experience completely unscripted?