Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Future Generations

The Southern Baptist Church Music Conference is meeting this summer in Orlando, Florida. This years conference theme is based on Psalm 102:18, which reads: "Let this be recorded for future generations, so that a people not yet born will praise the Lord." I was immediately struck by the verse. The thought hit me - "what am I doing 'so that a people not yet born will praise the Lord?'"
As a minister am I doing anything that will make an impact on future generations? Not that I am significant, by any means, but am I making an impact on either the church I serve or on an individual that will cause someone not yet born to praise the Lord?
We need to be people who live in two worlds - the present and the future. Obviously we must live in the present, but we also should be seeking to make a difference in and to future generations.
I was reminded of a song by 4Him, entitled "For Future Generations." The lyrics of the chorus are significant for us to consider. "I won’t bend and I won’t break, I won’t water down my faith; I won’t compromise in a world of desperation. What has been I cannot change, But for tomorrow and today, I must be a light for future generations."
That song says it so well. We must be a generation that "won't bend," "break" or "compromise." We must be a "light for future generations."
Are we saying, singing, or writing something that will be recorded "for future generations, that a people not yet born will praise the Lord?"

1 comment:

Nic Burleson said...

Good stuff, really good stuff. I think I can fit that verse into my legacy sermon...Also, you gotta love it anytime anyone references 4 Him...Hadn't heard them mentioned in a long time!